Welcome to Salem Apothecary!
Located in Salem, IN we’ve been serving the surrounding communities of Washington County since 1985. Our pharmacy staff have a combined 40 years of experience and our friendly staff will treat you like family. At Salem Apothecary, we believe that being a local pharmacy means providing Healthcare services to our patients that are customized to meet their needs.
Check out our blog!
Number 3 Lyon Block or #3 Public Square has been a drug store for over 130 years. When Dawson Lyon rebuilt the Lyon Block after the fire of 1874, with the help of Alfred Shrum, the first occupant of #3 was Henderson Drugs.
In 1889, William Rudder purchase the drug store and opened Rudder’s Drugs at #3 Lyon Block. The Rudder family practiced pharmacy here for over sixty years. William H. and his sister Dess continued the business after their father died. Dess was one of the first women to graduate from Purdue University School of Pharmacy and became the first woman to be a licensed pharmacist in the State of Indiana. Dess and her brother practiced pharmacy at #3 Lyon Block till 1949 when William H passed away.
The store was sold to Max Apple; a young entrepreneur from Paoli and Apple's Drugs came into being in 1949. Max’s son James joined him in practice in 1965. It was Max who expanded the store in 1967 for #3 Lyon Block to include #4 Lyon Block and made the store the size it is today. This was quite an operation as the ground level brick wall between 3 and 4 was removed and steel beams inserted to support the upper story. Apple’s Drugs became a Walgreen’s Agency for a time from 1967 to 1972.
In 1974, Rebecca Cauble returned to Salem after graduating from Purdue School of Pharmacy and was employed by James Apple at Apple's Drugs. After working at several other stores in southern Indiana, Rebecca and her husband Philip Marshall, partnered with Jeff and Cindy Johnson to buy Apple’s Drugs.
The name was changed to Salem Apothecary in 1985 and that fall the couples installed a 1920’s soda fountain purchased from the Renaker Five and Dime in Corydon, with stools from another store in Madison. That wasn’t the only change made when #3 Lyon Block became Salem Apothecary. The first computerized system for prescription filling was installed, all the tobacco products were removed and a ConvaCare Home Medical Equipment franchise was established.
The Marshalls bought the Johnsons out of the partnership in January of 1988 and in April of 1988, there was another fire in the Lyon Block. #5 Lyon Block was destroyed by the fire on Palm Sunday, but the rest of the Block was in danger for most of Sunday afternoon. The Salem Apothecary suffered severe water and smoke damage requiring the business to move to a temporary location in the southwest corner of the square for that spring and summer while #3 Lyon Block was cleaned, refurbished, and painted.
That summer of 1988 was also the summer of the Salem Bomb Scare. One of the biggest “bombs” that did not explode was found behind #7 Lyon Block where Frank Newkirk II Law Office was located. That slowed renovation down for a week or so, but the Salem Apothecary returned to #3 Lyon Block in August of 1988.
In 1990, Rebecca and Philip Marshall purchased the building. Then in 1995, after a horrendous snow and ice storm which ripped holes in the awning, the Salem Apothecary signature green and white striped awning was installed and remains a landmark of the Salem square as does the Soda Fountain as a destination for young and old alike for ice cream treats and great lunches.